Thursday, March 1, 2007

Boogie Woogie

I was never a fan of Christina Aguilera. Not because I had anything against her, but because I was not into modern American pop music. Maybe I am simply too old for this. But today I became a fan.







Apparently this song is based on "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by the Andrews Sisters. Click here to listen.







If I weren't told that Aguilera's "Candyman" is based on the "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", I would have never recognized the melody, even though it is one of my (and my 6-years old daughter's) favorite Andrews Sisters songs. But then, as the Russian saying goes, a bear must have stepped on my ear when I was little, so no wonder I can't recognize a tune. Nevertheless, Aguilera's song is clearly a tribute to the Andrews Sisters, to American Armed Forces and to American resolve against ruthless enemies. Note the big American Flag in the video with "V for Victory" on it. Note also Rosie the Riveter in the video.







And while we are on the subject of the Andrews Sisters, listen to my favorite of their songs. I'd like to think that they recorded this translated into English originally Yiddish song, made popular by the Barry Sisters, in order to piss off the Nazis. But it was recorded before World War 2, so maybe it is just wishful thinking.


1 comment:

Michael said...

Like you, I'm no fan of Aguilera. I didn't even particularly like this song.
However, it is nice to see some patriotism getting into pop culture for a change.

More power to her. Nice panties, too.