Friday, December 12, 2008

Laid off - Updated

Update:


I am putting this update at the top because the rest of this post is not very relevant any longer.  It looks like I am starting a new job on 1/5/2009.  It is a medical equipment company.  I've been fascinated by the medical electronics ever since I graduated from college, so now is my chance to design some of it.  Under the circumstances I would prefer working for a defense company in order to contribute more directly to the war effort, but unfortunately it did not work out that way.  Still, I am quite happy about this new job.


There is also a career milestone for me.  For me this is the first job ever when knowing someone who knew someone actually help me to get the job, or get an interview, to be precise.  This means that my professional network is finally starting to help.  Here is what happened:


I actually sent my resume to this company back in September.  But it is a big company, so I never heard anything.  But after I got laid off I gave my resume to an Applications Engineer from a company whose chips I use (I should have done it back in September).  This guy had a meeting with some engineers from a company where I am going to work and passed my resume over to them.  They called me for an interview, and I got a job.  I actually had an offer from another company as well, so I could choose where I wanted to go.  So, there are jobs out there, just look at Monster.com.


The downside of this all is that I am not getting more time to blog after all.





Right before Thanksgiving I posted about a lay-off at my work.  Back then I was not affected, although I knew that things weren't good, so I was looking for another job.  Well, another lay-off has happened just this Tuesday.  This one affected me: I am now out of a job.  The situation is not terrible: there are jobs out there, just look at Monster.com.  But I can use all the help I can get, so I am posting my resume on my blog.  I am posting it as a separate page on this site, as well as in PDF format.  I am not showing my contact information on this version of my resume: this political blog is open to the general public, so it is probably not a good idea to have my home address, e-mail and phone numbers displayed for everybody to see.  Your comments reach me through my e-mail, and the separate page makes it easier to reach me through comments.  If you know anybody in need of an Electrical Engineer (Hardware Engineer, Electronics Engineer etc.), please direct them to my blog.  If you request a copy of my resume in the Word format with all the contact information, please use your work e-mail, so I know that it is a legitimate company looking for an engineer.  Thanks in advance for all the help.


On the brighter side, I will probably have some more time to blog, between looking for a job and doing all the honey-dos my wife assigns me now.


Powered by Qumana


No comments: