Sunday, April 27, 2008

My favorite song

My older daughter takes figure skating lessons.  She's been a bit lazy lately (she is only 7), so in order to prop up her enthusiasm her coach suggested that she should prepare a short program with music.  Her program would have to be only about a minute long, so any musical piece would have to be shortened.  In trying to pick music for her I discovered that there is a song that I can listen to over and over, without getting tired of it.  I am fascinated by the World War 2 history, so it is not a surprise that this song is from that era.  The song is "Bei Mir Bist Du Shein", with lyrics originally written in Yiddish and then translated into English.  In English it became a tremendous hit when it was performed by The Andrews Sisters.  Of all the versions of this song I think that the Andrews Sisters is the best.  Enjoy:





Here is Benny Goodman's version:





I actually still undecided, whether the Andrews Sisters or Benny Goodman's version is the best.  And here is Al Bowlly's version, with lyrics addressed, properly, to a girl:





Here is the original Yiddish version:





Which one do you like best?


Powered by Qumana


No comments: